Petty food industries always prosper because there is a constant demand for food. Firstly, let’s look at the petty food business.
Who are Petty Food Business Operators?
In a petty FBO, food products are manufactured and sold by the company itself. The Indian food industry relies on them for snacks and luncheons. As per the FSSAI ( the Food Safety and Standard Authority of India), all FBOs with an annual turnover of fewer than ₹12 lakhs fall under this category.
Obtaining a license from the FSSAI is required for food businesses with a turnover above 12 lakhs. FSSAI registration is mandatory for such FBOs.
Petty Food Business Operators That Must Register With FSSAI:
- Under 12 lakhs of turnover per annum for meat processing units
- In addition to dairy processing and handling units, dairy units also include chilling units
- The amount of milk solids produced per year or the amount of milk that is managed per day by dairy facilities that produce 2.5 metric tons
- The slaughter of 50 poultry birds, 10 small animals, and 2 large animals per day in slaughtering houses
- Solvent extraction units and refineries that produce vegetable oil, including oil expeller units
- Re-labelers, or re-packers of food processing units. Those that trade in food capacity of 100kg or 100L, whose annual turnover must not surpass ₹12 lakhs.
2. Storage Units
- No more than 12 lakhs in annual turnover for refrigeration or cold units
- For controlled atmosphere units, turnover cannot exceed 12 lakhs
- Stores whose annual turnover does not exceed 12 lakhs.
3. Other Businesses That Need Registration:
- Hawkers/mobile food vendors
- Canteens and clubs
- Distributors, marketers, and transporters
- Dhabas and food stalls
- Fish/Meat seller
- Canteens that are home-based
- Social and religious institutions that supply food to the needy.
Why Should You Register Your Petty Food Establishment With the FSSAI?
Every food business must be registered with the FSSAI. The FSSAI regulates all FBOs because it is responsible for the safety and health of the country’s population. A food business cannot be operated without FSSAI registration.
You would also be able to sell your products with confidence to your customers. Credibility and goodwill in the market are increased as a result.
Documents Required to Register Your Petty Food Business:
As a petty FBO, you will have to submit fewer documents than the other businesses. You might have to submit the following documents:
- Photo Identity of the owner
- Utility or rent bills
- Partnership deed/ incorporation certificate
- List of products manufactured
- Completed and signed Form B.
How to Register Your Petty Food Business With the FSSAI?
You can apply for registration with the FSSAI, right from your home. The following steps will guide you through.
- The FoSCos portal can be found here
- Pick the type of business you want to register from the list of business types
- The ‘Form A’ must be filled out
- Please submit the required documents. Obtain self-attestation if necessary
- The registration fee must be paid. 100 per year would be charged for registration
- Your FSSAI registration application will be accepted if it is accepted.