The process of obtaining a GST number involves submitting an application and providing required documents to the relevant government authority. Here are the steps to obtain a GST number in India:
- Visit the GST portal (www.gst.gov.in) and click on “Register Now”.
- Fill in the necessary details in the registration form and submit it.
- You will receive an email and SMS containing a Temporary Reference Number (TRN).
- Log in to the GST portal using the TRN and complete the application form by providing all the required details and uploading the necessary documents.
- Once the application is submitted, you will receive an Application Reference Number (ARN) through email and SMS.
- Your application will be processed by the GST authority, and you will receive your GST Status upon successful verification of your application and documents.
It is important to note that the GST registration process may differ depending on the country or region.
Services of GST Portal:-
The GST portal, also known as the Goods and Services Tax portal, is a comprehensive online platform that provides various services related to GST registration, filing of returns, payment of taxes, and other compliance-related activities. Some of the services offered by the GST portal are:
- GST Registration: Individuals or businesses can register for GST on the portal by providing their personal and business details.
- GST Returns Filing: The portal provides a platform for taxpayers to file their GST returns, including GSTR-1, GSTR-2, GSTR-3, and GSTR-4.
- GST Payments: Taxpayers can make GST payments online through the portal using various payment modes, such as net banking, credit card, or debit card.
- GST Refunds: Taxpayers can claim their GST refunds on the portal by providing the necessary details and supporting documents.
- GST Challan Generation: The portal facilitates the generation of GST challans for payment of GST liabilities.
- GST Amendment: Taxpayers can make amendments to their GST registration details, such as their business address or contact details, on the portal.
- GST Notices and Orders: The portal provides a platform for taxpayers to view any GST notices or orders issued to them by the GST authorities.
- GST Registrations Cancellation: Taxpayers can cancel their GST registration on the portal in case they are no longer liable to pay GST.
These are some of the primary services offered by the GST portal to taxpayers!
What are the Taxes Applicable on GST?
GST or Goods and Services Tax is a comprehensive tax system that has replaced multiple indirect taxes in India. GST is levied at every stage of the supply chain, from the manufacturer to the final consumer. There are three types of GST applicable in India, which are:
- CGST (Central Goods and Services Tax): CGST is levied by the Central Government on the supply of goods and services within the same state.
- SGST (State Goods and Services Tax): SGST is levied by the State Government on the supply of goods and services within the same state.
- IGST (Integrated Goods and Services Tax): IGST is levied by the Central Government on the supply of goods and services between different states or Union territories.
In addition to these three taxes, there are some other taxes that are applicable on GST, such as:
- Cess: Cess is a tax levied on certain goods and services over and above the GST rate. The proceeds of this tax are usually earmarked for specific purposes, such as funding the education and healthcare sectors.
- TDS (Tax Deducted at Source): TDS is a tax deducted by the buyer of goods or services at the time of making payment to the seller. The deducted amount is then remitted to the government as tax on behalf of the seller.
- TCS (Tax Collected at Source): TCS is a tax collected by the seller of goods or services at the time of sale. The collected amount is then remitted to the government as tax on behalf of the buyer.
- Customs Duty: Customs duty is a tax levied on the import and export of goods.
These are some of the taxes that are applicable on GST in India. The rates of these taxes may vary depending on the goods or services being supplied and the specific circumstances of the transaction.