Follow these steps if you want to do your tax filing offline:
- Visit www.incometaxindiaefiling.gov.in
- Using the “Downloads” button, click “Offline Utilities” and “Income Tax Return Preparation Utilities”.
- Choose the applicable ITR form. You can do this using Excel or Java. Click on one of these utilities to get the download link. When you click on the download link, the selected form will be downloaded to your computer in ZIP format. Exit the ZIP file when you are done downloading.
- Please complete all fields on the form. Make sure the data is validated and that taxes are calculated accurately.
- You can save your ITR form on your computer by clicking on “Save XML” and selecting “Generate XML” before clicking “Save XML”.
- Please register on www.incometaxindiaefiling.gov.in if you have not done so already by providing basic details and completing the registration form. Usernames and passwords will be assigned once you register.
- For logging in, use your ID and password on incometaxindiaefiling.gov.in
- Choose “eFile” and then “Income Tax Return”
- Your appropriate “ITR Form” and “AY” (Assessment Year) should be selected.
- Select “Upload XML” from the “Submission Mode”
- Once the XML file has been saved, you can upload it
- You will receive an email confirmation once your submission has been successful.
THE ONLINE FILING OF RETURNS
To use an online tax filing facility, you must take a few classes. These classes are-
- For individuals and HUFs that earn more than Rs. 5,00,000 per annum or are entitled to a refund. But seniors over 80 years old who want to file ITR 1 or ITR 4 may use e-filing and offline options.
- As per Section 44AB, audits are required for individuals, HUFs, and firms
- Under their digital signatures, companies must electronically file their tax returns
- Tax relief is claimed under Section 90A, 90, and 91 for individuals filing ITR 5
- Foreign-owned assets of resident income tax returns
ONLINE TAX RETURN FILING: HOW TO DO IT?
Here are the steps for filing your tax return online:
- To register, go to www.incometaxindiaefiling.gov.in and enter your ID and password. If you are not registered, click on “Register Yourself” and fill in the form.
- By selecting “e-File”, you will be able to select “Income Tax”
- Your “ITR Form” and the “Assessment Year” should be selected.
- Choose “Prepare and Submit Online” in “Submission Mode”
- The ITR form should be filled out as soon as possible
- Choose “Save as Draft” when you are finished
- Go through your returns form once before submitting it by choosing the “Preview and Submit” option
- Please click on the “Submit” button if everything appears to be in order
- Submit the document after it has been verified.
- A confirmation email will be sent to you after submitting the form
In case you do not wish to verify online, you may also download and send the ITR Verification (ITR-V) form to the IT Department’s Central Processing Center in Bengaluru.
If you file your taxes online, you must do so within 120 days.
ITR submissions will only be considered valid after the department receives your verification and your ITR is successfully uploaded. Please note that you will receive an acknowledgment email after your verification has been received.
ONLINE STATUS CHECK FOR ITR
Check the status of your ITR online once you have submitted it successfully. For this, you can either login into your incometaxindiaefiling.gov.in account or use the Acknowledge Number you received in the acknowledgment email or SMS at the time of ITR submission.
The Acknowledgement Number should be used
- For more information, go to www.incometaxindiaefiling.gov.in
- The “Services” tab can be found on the left side of the screen
- “ITR Status” should be selected
- Captcha code, Acknowledgement number, and PAN number
- Upon submitting these details, you will be able to view the status of your ITR
Logging in using credentials
- Please log in using your credentials at www.incometaxindiaefiling.gov.in
- Go to the “Dashboard” and select “View Returns/Forms”
- Please select the assessment year and the ITR option
- Check the status of your ITR by entering the required information